Alcoholism is indeed a serious problem in the modern world. In this post we will take a closer look at this issue.
Alcoholism is now known as alcohol use disorder. It is a condition in which a person has a desire or physical need to consume alcohol, even though it has a negative impact on their life.
A person who drinks excessive amounts of alcohol will often not be the first person to realize that this is so. Some signs and symptoms of alcohol use disorder include:
- drinking alone or in secret
- not being able to limit how much alcohol is consumed
- blacking out and not being able to remember chunks of time
- having rituals and being irritated if someone else comments on these rituals, for example, drinks before, during, or after meals, or after work
- losing interest in hobbies that were previously enjoyed
- feeling an urge to drink
- feeling irritable when drinking times approach, especially if alcohol is not, or may not be, available
- storing alcohol in unlikely places
- gulping drinks down in order to feel good
- having problems with relationships, the law, finances, or work that stem from drinking
- needing more alcohol to feel its effect
- experiencing nausea, sweating, or shaking when not drinking
- Some people experience some of these signs and symptoms but are not dependent on alcohol.
Alcohol consumption becomes a problem when it takes precedence over all other activities. Dependence can take several years to develop. The problems linked to alcohol dependence are extensive. The effects can be physical, psychological, and social.
Alcoholism has a stages such as:
- Stage 1: Experimentation – A person is only tryiing alcohol. A tendency to binge drinking is present.
- Stage 2: Increased tolerance – A person begiins to drink regularly. The number of drinks consumed increases.
- Stage 3: Adverse effects – Common side effects of alcohol abuse become noticeable to others.
- Stage 4: Dependence -Alcohol consumption becomes a daily routine. Severe side effects pf alcoholism start to manifest.
- Stage 5: Addiction – Constant cravings for alcohol and severe alcohol-related complications.
For more info about Alcoholism klick here and here or here.
If you want to see our tattoo design inspirations klick here and here or here.